Skip to main content

Man Wrongly Imprisoned For 27 Years Seeks N20bn Compensation

A 56-year-old man, Clinton Kanu, has said he will demand a N20bn compensation for spending 27 years behind bars for a crime he did not commit.

Kanu, who was sentenced to death in 1992 for murder, was freed by the Supreme Court on April 5, 2019.

The Okigwe, Imo State-born consultant criminologist explained that though he made efforts to absolve himself from a gang-up that led to his incarceration, nobody was ready to listen to him until he was jailed.

While in prison, Kanu lost his mother; coupled with the fact that he was not married, he said he fought loneliness.


Kanu, who recounted the incident that led to his travail, said, “About 27 years ago, some people were accused of stealing a generator and fluorescent tubes; they were my in-laws.

“After a court decided the case, we suddenly heard that somebody was killed in the compound where my sister married. I was arrested because those behind my ordeal thought I was trying to resolve a land dispute in favour of one person.

“I was taken to the Okigwe Police Station and later transferred to Owerri, where I was charged to court in April 1992. I was detained in the Owerri prison. I was at the tribunal for seven years because those behind my ordeal included armed robbery to the case. They believed I was a strong man and wanted to tie me down.

“They brought false witnesses to testify against me at the tribunal. I was later taken to a regular court where I was condemned to death. From Owerri, I was transferred to the Port Harcourt prison. At the Port Harcourt prison, I waited for many years for the hangman’s noose.

“I went to the Appeal Court to appeal the case, but my lawyer messed it up. Then I decided to proceed to the Supreme Court, where after 27 years in prison, I was vindicated. I was detained for nothing for 27 years; I was discharged and acquitted on April 5, 2019.”

Speaking to Punch correspondent on Saturday, Kanu argued that he would demand N20bn compensation from the Federal Government and his state (Imo State) for the damage done to his business.

He also stated that he developed ill health due to the prison’s dirty environment, adding that with the help of his lawyer, he hoped to be well compensated.

“It seems as if everything collapsed on my head; I don’t know where to start from. My head is jam-packed with thoughts and I need to ask God to direct me. I really need help.

“I am considering asking for compensation from the Federal Government and my state. I want this legal parochialism and injustice to stop.

“When you talk about the damage done to my business and to my health, due to the prison’s dirty environment, and a lot of other things that have gone wrong, if I put my losses in billions, I don’t think it is out of place.

“The money is just to make me solve my problems and get back to normal life. I will ask for N20bn compensation,” Kanu said.

He thanked his church and some relatives who had been feeding and accommodating him since he left prison last Tuesday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musa Danjuma's alleged girlfriend shows off younger new man who calls himself her 'sugar daddy'

Welcome to meme's Blog News, Events, Entertainment, Lifestyle, Fashion, Beauty, Inspiration and yes... Gossip! *Wink* Musa Danjuma's alleged girlfriend shows off younger new man who calls himself her 'sugar daddy' The curvy exotic dancer/singer who was previously linked to Musa Danjuma and was once in a spat with his ex-wife Caroline on IG, has been in Lagos for a while now and contrary to previous reports online, she didn't fly in for him. Audream took to social media to show off a younger, finer man who refers to himself as her sugar daddy. See more of their pics together and drop a comment anout his identity if you know him! By meme

Photos: Verdict looms for man who deliberately infected over 30 women with HIV

Photos: Verdict looms for man who deliberately infected over 30 women with HIV An HIV-positive Italian man accused of intentionally infecting 30 women is set to hear the verdict today, October 27, in his trial for allegedly targeting victims for unprotected sex over a period of nearly 10 years. Under the pseudonym "Hearty Style", 33-year-old accountant Valentino Talluto seduced dozens of young women on social networks and internet dating sites, often dating several at a time. Out of 53 sexual conquests known to have taken place between 2006 -- when he discovered he was HIV positive -- and his arrest in 2015, 30 women were allegedly infected by him with the virus which damages the immune system and causes AIDS. The male companions of three of the women were also infected, as was the baby of a fourth, investigators say. Throughout the trial, which opened in March in Rome's Rebibbia prison, the women described how Talluto had wined and dined them, claiming to fa

Expect bodies in the streets of African Countries - Melinda Gates warns of the implications of Coronavirus in Africa

Melinda Gates has warned that there will be dead bodies littering the streets in African countries if the world does not act fast to curb the spread of Coronavirus. Ms Gates said this while speaking to CNN, on  the novel Coronavirus and its effects in the third world countries. She said she is worried for Africa and fears that the continent might not be able to handle the devastating effect of COVID-19. "Its going to be horrible in the developing world," she warned. “Part of  the reasons you are seeing the case numbers still do not look very bad, is because they don’t have access to many tests. “Look at what is happening in Ecuador, they are putting bodies out on the streets, you are going to see that in countries in Africa,” Mrs Gates noted. Melinda Gates, who is also co-chair of the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation, fears things will get worst for Africa once cases peak because of poor health care systems and lack of humanitarian supports. Ac