Skip to main content

‘Meghan & Prince Harry Took My Instagram Username Without Telling Me'

It was a text message from his son which alerted Kevin Keiley to the change. "Ha ha, I see your handle has gone then," the message read.

The 55-year-old driving instructor looked at his phone in bemusement, wondering "What's all that about?"

But a quick look on Instagram revealed what the contents of the message really meant - his username on the social media platform no longer belonged to him and had been changed.

And to his surprise, the new owners of his handle were two very familiar faces - Prince Harry and Meghan Markle .


 The official Instagram for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex was launched on Wednesday and quickly became the fastest account to reach one million followers - hitting the impressive figure in just six hours.

However for three years prior to this, the name had belonged to Kevin, who lives in Worthing, West Sussex.

The dad had picked the username to reflect his love for his home and his loyalty to Reading Football Club - also known as The Royals.

However this week his Instagram changed from @sussexroyal to @_sussexroyal_ a username which he told ITV he thinks is "really lame".

Kevin explained that he was "flattered" that Harry and Meghan wanted his username, but also "annoyed" about the whole thing.

He was also shocked to discover that Instagram could just take it from him without any word.

The platform is reported to have transferred the name to the royal account, due to inactivity on his page. Kevin admits he didn't often post on Instagram and only had a few followers, but he did use the app to like other people's posts.

He added: "I was liking this so I don't understand how it was inactive.

"All they needed to do was tell me over email what is happening, that the royals want your name and I would've given it, but no, they went behind my back and did it without telling me."
 Aside from the Instagram name, Kevin also has possession of the matching Twitter handle.

He was quickly flooded with tweets from royal fans demanding he give up the account and hand it over to the royals, but so far he has managed to keep ownership of it.
And he's been making sure to share several posts on the page, so that Twitter can't accuse him of being inactive as Instagram did.

However he is willing to give the name up - if the royal couple have the decency to ask him for it.

Speaking to BBC Newsbeat, he added a message for the Duke and Duchess. He said: "Hello Harry and Meghan. If you do want my Twitter account as well, can you at least have the decency to speak to me?"




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musa Danjuma's alleged girlfriend shows off younger new man who calls himself her 'sugar daddy'

Welcome to meme's Blog News, Events, Entertainment, Lifestyle, Fashion, Beauty, Inspiration and yes... Gossip! *Wink* Musa Danjuma's alleged girlfriend shows off younger new man who calls himself her 'sugar daddy' The curvy exotic dancer/singer who was previously linked to Musa Danjuma and was once in a spat with his ex-wife Caroline on IG, has been in Lagos for a while now and contrary to previous reports online, she didn't fly in for him. Audream took to social media to show off a younger, finer man who refers to himself as her sugar daddy. See more of their pics together and drop a comment anout his identity if you know him! By meme

Photos: Verdict looms for man who deliberately infected over 30 women with HIV

Photos: Verdict looms for man who deliberately infected over 30 women with HIV An HIV-positive Italian man accused of intentionally infecting 30 women is set to hear the verdict today, October 27, in his trial for allegedly targeting victims for unprotected sex over a period of nearly 10 years. Under the pseudonym "Hearty Style", 33-year-old accountant Valentino Talluto seduced dozens of young women on social networks and internet dating sites, often dating several at a time. Out of 53 sexual conquests known to have taken place between 2006 -- when he discovered he was HIV positive -- and his arrest in 2015, 30 women were allegedly infected by him with the virus which damages the immune system and causes AIDS. The male companions of three of the women were also infected, as was the baby of a fourth, investigators say. Throughout the trial, which opened in March in Rome's Rebibbia prison, the women described how Talluto had wined and dined them, claiming to fa

Expect bodies in the streets of African Countries - Melinda Gates warns of the implications of Coronavirus in Africa

Melinda Gates has warned that there will be dead bodies littering the streets in African countries if the world does not act fast to curb the spread of Coronavirus. Ms Gates said this while speaking to CNN, on  the novel Coronavirus and its effects in the third world countries. She said she is worried for Africa and fears that the continent might not be able to handle the devastating effect of COVID-19. "Its going to be horrible in the developing world," she warned. “Part of  the reasons you are seeing the case numbers still do not look very bad, is because they don’t have access to many tests. “Look at what is happening in Ecuador, they are putting bodies out on the streets, you are going to see that in countries in Africa,” Mrs Gates noted. Melinda Gates, who is also co-chair of the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation, fears things will get worst for Africa once cases peak because of poor health care systems and lack of humanitarian supports. Ac