Skip to main content

Donald Trump proposed to Melania at the 2004 Met Gala - but nobody noticed

Remember the simpler, happier days of 2004? Back then Donald Trump was simply an uber-wealthy businessman/reality TV star with a younger, model girlfriend and two glamorous ex-wives.

He was also still on Anna Wintour's invite list to the Met Gala .  While the Trumps won't be gracing the red carpet this year (or probably any other year, for that matter), back in 2004 their Met Gala appearance was particularly significant.

Trump, the old romantic, chose the night of the 2004 Gala as perfect, low-key opportunity to pop the question to Melania .

At the time, the couple had been together for five years having met at a Fashion Week party in 1998.


Of that fateful meeting, Melania told Harper's Bazaar : "He wanted my number, but he was with a date, so of course I didn't give it to him.

"I said, 'I am not giving you my number; you give me yours, and I will call you.' I wanted to see what kind of number he would give me — if it was a business number, what is this? I'm not doing business with you."

Fast-forward to 2004 and Trump proposed to Melania at the event with a 15 carat, emerald-cut ring worth a cool $1.5 million.

Interestingly, despite Trump's fame and there being hundreds of people and cameras around no one seemed to notice the massive rock on Melania's finger, Elite Daily reports.

But was it this lavish romantic gesture which got the Trumps black-listed by Anna Wintour?

Probably not, given it's one of the least divisive things he's done in recent years. He also continued to attend until 2013.

One thing we do know though is that while Trump may be one of the most powerful men on the planet, he still can't swing an invite to one of the most high-profile nights in the fashion calendar.

At the 2019 Women in the World Summit, Wintour said there was "absolutely nothing" POTUS could do to weasel his way back on to the invite list.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musa Danjuma's alleged girlfriend shows off younger new man who calls himself her 'sugar daddy'

Welcome to meme's Blog News, Events, Entertainment, Lifestyle, Fashion, Beauty, Inspiration and yes... Gossip! *Wink* Musa Danjuma's alleged girlfriend shows off younger new man who calls himself her 'sugar daddy' The curvy exotic dancer/singer who was previously linked to Musa Danjuma and was once in a spat with his ex-wife Caroline on IG, has been in Lagos for a while now and contrary to previous reports online, she didn't fly in for him. Audream took to social media to show off a younger, finer man who refers to himself as her sugar daddy. See more of their pics together and drop a comment anout his identity if you know him! By meme

Photos: Verdict looms for man who deliberately infected over 30 women with HIV

Photos: Verdict looms for man who deliberately infected over 30 women with HIV An HIV-positive Italian man accused of intentionally infecting 30 women is set to hear the verdict today, October 27, in his trial for allegedly targeting victims for unprotected sex over a period of nearly 10 years. Under the pseudonym "Hearty Style", 33-year-old accountant Valentino Talluto seduced dozens of young women on social networks and internet dating sites, often dating several at a time. Out of 53 sexual conquests known to have taken place between 2006 -- when he discovered he was HIV positive -- and his arrest in 2015, 30 women were allegedly infected by him with the virus which damages the immune system and causes AIDS. The male companions of three of the women were also infected, as was the baby of a fourth, investigators say. Throughout the trial, which opened in March in Rome's Rebibbia prison, the women described how Talluto had wined and dined them, claiming to fa

Expect bodies in the streets of African Countries - Melinda Gates warns of the implications of Coronavirus in Africa

Melinda Gates has warned that there will be dead bodies littering the streets in African countries if the world does not act fast to curb the spread of Coronavirus. Ms Gates said this while speaking to CNN, on  the novel Coronavirus and its effects in the third world countries. She said she is worried for Africa and fears that the continent might not be able to handle the devastating effect of COVID-19. "Its going to be horrible in the developing world," she warned. “Part of  the reasons you are seeing the case numbers still do not look very bad, is because they don’t have access to many tests. “Look at what is happening in Ecuador, they are putting bodies out on the streets, you are going to see that in countries in Africa,” Mrs Gates noted. Melinda Gates, who is also co-chair of the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation, fears things will get worst for Africa once cases peak because of poor health care systems and lack of humanitarian supports. Ac